BlackBerry Corporation IP and Patent Counsel Director in Irving, Texas
Worker Sub-Type: Regular
* Job Description: *
BlackBerry seeks a creative, self-driven individual to take Intellectual Property licensing opportunities to market and complete license agreements in addition to participating in opportunity identification, creation, and development. This role will be part of the Intellectual Property & Licensing operations and will be primarily responsible for developing, executing and closing patent licensing opportunities generating significant revenue. A successful candidate will play a key role in BlackBerry’s Intellectual Property licensing operations.
The preferred candidate will be an experienced licensing person focused on completing license agreements and executing licensing programs to realize maximum value from corporate patent assets. The preferred candidate will have an established record of closing patent licenses for significant value.
- Execute licensing programs by identifying and contacting potential licensees
- Negotiate and close licensing transactions for significant revenue
- Interact with the Intellectual Property & Licensing group members to develop licensing programs, strategy, and priorities
- Develop outbound licensing programs, strategy and materials, both short term and long term
- Execute outbound licensing strategy to meet quarterly revenue goals
- Consult with patent prosecution team as needed to identify and develop licensable patent assets
- Approximately 20%-50% domestic/international travel may be required
- 8+ years licensing experience related to patents with direct involvement in licensing and monetizing patents
- 5+ years of relevant Director level experience preferred
- Strong track record of closing licensing deals for significant value
- Solid experience in licensing negotiations and responding to arguments
- Exceptional presentation skills, concise and fluent in communication
- Ability to distill complexity via a methodical and structured approach
- Broad technical knowledge, industry insight and commercial awareness of the Internet of Things, Enterprise of Things, cyber-security, cryptography, automotive systems, enterprise mobility management and other software applications
- Experience and understanding of patent and portfolio valuation
- Team player, self-disciplined, and ability to work cooperatively with others
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Telecommunication or other related technology fields
- Registration to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office or similar experience preferred
- Exemplary ethical standards
Job Family Group Name: Legal
Scheduled Weekly Hours: 40
We are BlackBerry, a global mobile communications leader who revolutionized the industry with its introduction in 1999. Today, BlackBerry’s products and services, from messaging to enterprise mobility, are relied on by millions of individuals every day to securely and efficiently connect them to the content and people that matter most. At BlackBerry our instinct for innovation is relentless, so as we continue to push the boundaries of mobile experiences, we continue to drive the talent, passion and creativity of our employees.
©2016 BlackBerry. All right reserved. BlackBerry® and related trademarks, names, and logos are the property of BlackBerry Limited and are registered and/or used in the U.S. and countries around the world.
It is the policy of BlackBerry to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship, status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
EEO Minorities/Females/Protected Veteran/Disabled